Sunday, November 25, 2007

Cleanup Time

Most people have hard drives in excess of 100 gigs these days, but for those who still use older computers you want to use every possible byte you can without wasting any on temp files.

I've found a good way to cleanup your computer is CCleaner. Its a nice free program (who would have guessed with this blog :P). It does MASSIVE cleanup if you have high speed Internet due to all the temporary Internet files (for reference on a 30 gig hard drive I have have cleaned upwards of 3+ gigs by running on all users). I even ran it next month and another gig came off so you can see how important clearing Temporary Internet files can be.

I'm fairly sure I ran a scan earlier this week but I've gotten good at keeping my temp files down. (I have forgotten to empty the recycle bin and found that i have 2-3 gigs there).

Those are my settings, they tend to clear up everything big. You will also notice a registry button. Clicking that gives a similar screen but when you scan will show all the registry keys that you have that are broken and should be deleted. I've seen this scan take 20+ minutes and come up with some 4000 results. (same computer that i took 3 gigs off of) after words they noticed it was considerably faster then before. (it may also be the 14 viruses i took off but thats another story and another post to cover AntiVirus



http://www.ccleaner.com/

Any questions or if you know of a better program please tell me and i will gladly answer.

No comments: